Tall, skinny and fasting Andrew Jones, the Tall Skinny Kiwi, announces he is taking a break from blogging for the month of September, and lists all sorts of good reasons for the "blogfast." Among them:
- Because I Do suffer from blog addiction and blog fasting is a way for me to kill the old man and crucify him again - allowing God the opportunity of resurrection in his way.
- Because my blog is old and tired and not nearly as much fun as it used to be. I want to be re-inspired and invigorated.
- Because I have an idea of how blogging should be and I want my blog to catch up to my vision.
- Because I have been SELFISH in my blogging recently, concerned with building my own blog and tracking my own progress rather than being a resource on other people's blogs.
- Because the quality of my blog posts has decayed and I am posting fewer poetic posts [a sign of good spiritual health] and fewer thoughtful theological/missiological posts [a sign of rigorous thinking in my head] and I need to raise the bar.
- Because I have become infatuated [again] with my stats and my blog authority and google-ranking - a form of idolatry and narcissism that can only be harmful.
I wish Andrew well on this season of rejuvenation. Funny, but I've been considering a similar action -- a time of sabbath to re-energize. And to get back to working on that book about punk rock and spirituality, which I never seem to have time for anymore. But I've got to finish my "100 life-changing records" countdown first.