:: Thursday, March 06, 2003 ::

Lectio divina, day four
I've read enough of Henri Nouwen's works to grasp, at least somewhat, the importance of passivity in the Christian life. And I think that one reason why lectio divina is such a powerful prayer technique is because it works through our passivity. Instead of prayer being an active event, it is a passive one. It is a matter of reading and waiting, of being receptive, rather than being active and forceful. This, however, goes against the grain of my human nature. I am so used to being active, to doing, that becoming passive is difficult for me.

Passivity was especially difficult to achieve this morning. I set about planning to actively do the lectio divina. I'd already picked an appropriate Psalm -- one of David's "war psalms," Psalm 3, in which he seeks God for rescue and relief from his enemies (in this case, his own son, Absalom). This seemed an appropriate Psalm for the day, given the "attacks" on the university I work for, and the leader of that university, in the newspaper the night before -- published despite my attempts to persuade the passive-aggressive petty tyrant of an editor and, later, the reporter he assigned to do the story, to reconsider the newsworthiness of the entire subject, which was based on an anonymous letter from an alleged employee of the university. (The university I work for has the misfortune of being located in the same community that also is home to the worst daily newspaper in Missouri. That newspaper yesterday published a report based on allegations from an anonymous letter criticizing the chancellor of our university. I would link to the story, but the RDN does not archive its articles. Like its dead-tree editions -- "yesterday's newspaper is today's fish wrapper" -- the online version is also ephemeral, much more so than most newspapers with an online presence.) I'd stayed up half the night contemplating the appropriate response to the article -- whether to compose a letter to the editor myself, collaborate with the chancellor, withhold the meager ad budget we have for that newspaper, send my own anonymous letter, etc.

So I set about reading Psalm 3. I read it twice, listening for God's still, small voice. Then I read it a third time. And then I heard that still small voice -- a nudge, a reminder, a snippet of Scripture from another Psalm: Fret not thyself because of evildoers. I recognized that line. It's the opening to Psalm 37. So I turned there. I read anxiously -- not passively -- hoping to find something to justify my anger and my plans for revenge -- but my eyes fell on these verses:


Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him ...
Cease from anger, and forsake wrath;
Do not fret--it only causes harm.

Psalm 37:7-8

Damn.

That's not what I wanted the still, small voice to say to me this morning. But the voice from Scripture was insistent. As to whether I'll heed that voice or bow to my own human cravings is a great test this morning. The day has only begun. I haven't heard from anyone else on campus, including the chancellor, about this issue, but I'm sure I'll get loads of cousel. Nevertheless, there are two truisms in public relations that I must always keep in mind when considering whether to respond to bad press:

1. Yesterday's newspaper is today's fish wrapper, bird-cage liner, etc.; and

2. Don't get into an argument with someone who buys ink by the barrel

:: Andrew 07:52 + ::
...

bloggedy blog recommends

Save the Net

bloggedy pod (my podcast page)

Independent hotels
in Missouri

Get Firefox!

null

eMusic's Power Charts: The Most Interactive Music Charts Online.

Never Mind the Bibles

In rotation

What I've been listening to lately. Click album cover or hyperlink to hear track samples and learn more.

Sermon on Exposition Boulevard Rickie Lee Jones, Sermon on Exposition Boulevard

Children Running Through Patty Griffin, Children Running Through

Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? Of Montreal, Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?

Tones of Town Field Music, Tones of Town

The Girl Collection De Bossen, The Girl Collection

Robbers & Cowards Cold War Kids, Robbers & Cowards

Carinvore Simon Dawes, Carnivore

Until Death Comes Frida Hyvonen, Until Death Comes

Tratore Basics 2: New Brazilian Rock Tratore Basics Vol. 2, Novo Rock Brazil

Modern Times Yusuf: An Other Cup

Modern Times The Beatles: Love

Two Thousand The French Kicks: Two Thousand

Paper Television The Blow: Paper Television

Freedom Haters Unite! A Bloodshot Records Sampler, Vol. 1 Freedom Haters Unite! A Bloodshot Records Sampler

Beast Moans Swan Lake: Beast Moans

Prototypes Prototypes: Prototypes

Violence Is Golden Scanners: Violence Is Golden

Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives Voxtrot: Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives

Your Biggest Fan Voxtrot: Your Biggest Fan

Translate Macon Greyson: Translate

Get Evens The Evens: Get Evens

Veruca Salt IV Veruca Salt: Veruca Salt IV

Modern Times Bob Dylan: Modern Times

Look Your Best Pink Tuscadero: Look Your Best

Blue On Blue Leigh Nash: Blue on Blue

I Am  Not Afraid Of  You And I Will Beat Your Ass Yo La Tengo: I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass

Boys and Girls in America The Hold Steady: Boys and Girls in America

The Longest Meow Bobby Bare Jr.: The Longest Meow"

Hello Love The Be Good Tanyas: Hello Love

The Lemonheads The Lemonheads: The Lemonheads

Ben Kweller Ben Kweller: Ben Kweller

We Are The Pipettes The Pipettes: We Are the Pipettes

Surprise Paul Simon: Surprise

Sev7en Exene Cervenka and the Original Sinners: Sev7en

A Hundred Highways Johnny Cash: American V: A Hundred Highways

For the Best of Us The John Doe Thing: For the Best of Us

Runaway Bombshell The Fondas: Runaway Bombshell

Flat-Pack Philosophy Buzzcocks: Flat Pack Philosophy

Citrus Asobi Seksu: Citrus

The Loon Tapes 'n Tapes: The Loon

2006 Pitchfork Music Festival Sampler Various Artists: 2006 Pitchfork Music Festival Sampler (24 free tracks)

News and Tributes The Futureheads: News and Tributes

Zoysia The Bottle Rockets: Zoysia

Let's Get Out of This Country Camera Obscura: Let's Get Out of This Country

Bang Bang Rock & Roll Art Brut: Bang Bang Rock & Roll

A Blessing and a Curse Drive By Truckers: A Blessing and a Curse

Broken Boy Soldiers The Raconteurs: Broken Boy Soldiers

The Life Pursuit Belle and Sebastian: The Life Pursuit

The Greatest Cat Power: The Greatest

bloggedy tags

from our sponsors

for your viewing pleasure

24x7
rocketboom
the Richard Show

where in the world?

Locations of visitors to this page