O Christmas Meme! O Christmas Meme! A holiday meme via Mr. Wright (here).
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Neither. Give me a hearty, dark roast coffee. This morning's pot is the traditional Holiday Mix from Starbuck's.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? The elves wrap, Santa delivers.
3. Colored lights on tree or white? A variety of colors, including white, is best.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? Nah.
5. When do you put your decorations up? It varies. This year, we put them up over Thanksgiving weekend becuase the weather was so unseasonably warm.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Baked ham.
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? Getting to look in my Christmas stocking. This was usually after we'd opened all the "big" gifts that were under the treee. The stocking usually held fruit, nuts, ribbon candy, chocolates, and a few smaller gifts, but it was always fun to pour it out and see what it held.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? This is the saddest holiday memory for me. I had a hunch the whole Santa thing was a fraud, but I kept hanging on. Then during the Christmas that I was 8, we didn't get any gifts. My mother broke the news to me on Christmas eve that Santa didn't exist and she couldn't afford to buy us any toys that year.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? This was not a tradition in my family, but it is in my wife's. So, yes, we open gifts of Christmas Eve, at my in-laws'.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? We haven't decorated on Christmas tree in several years. Instead, my wife, who is a Christmas freak, has a small tree up year round.
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? It's better than ice, which is what we usually get instead of snow.
12. Can you ice skate? I doubt it. I skated as a kid, but it's been years. Here in the Midwest, we roller-skated more often than ice-skated. But when I lived in Massachusetts, I had to learn to ice skate in order to play hockey.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Rock'Em Sock'Em Robots!
14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Contemplating the miracle of the birth of Jesus of Nazareth: How the all-powerful creator of all that is took on human form -- becoming a frail, helpless, dependent infant -- to enter the world he created and walk among his creation. Sometimes I liken it to an author becoming a part of the story he has written, or an artist entering her painting.
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? I prefer a holiday snack: Chex Party Mix.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Reading O. Henry's "The Gift of the Magi". It's something I try to read every year during the holidays.
17. What tops your tree? An angel to watch over us.
18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? Giving.
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Probably "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing." The part about "God and sinners reconciled" is what the Divine Invasion of Jesus into our world is all about. Also, "Joy to the World," "God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen" and "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" are favorites.
20. Candy Canes? I used to eat 'em, but not anymore. Type II diabetes can screw up many a holiday tradition.